Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Big Five Oh Trip - Part 2



Bolzamo, IT – Day 10 of the motorcycle tour and I’m obviously WAY behind in posting anything. No surprise as there just isn’t any time, the routine for the last 10 days is always the same, get up, eat, ride like hell through some of the most challenging landscape on earth, eat, go to sleep. I make that sound repetitive; believe me, it’s anything but. Those tales are to come.

Now where were?

Day 2 of the trip finds us waking up at the Haus Pit Lane hotel in Nurburg, Germany, home to the famous Nurburgring race track complex. The “Ring”, as it’s affectionately known to gearheads everywhere, is actually several circuits on one giant piece of landscape. The one that we’re here to see is called the Nordschleife, considered to be one of the most difficult and dangerous tracks in the world. At some 20.8 kms long with an amazing 154 unique turns winding through dense and hilly forests with elevation changes of more than 1000 feet it well lives up to its nickname, the Green Hell. And I’m here to drive it.
 
 
I’ve been practicing for weeks prior to the trip using a Sony PS3 rig with GranTurismo 6, one of the best game simulations of this track, but as good as it is it will in no way prepare me for the extreme hills, valleys and lack of sight lines of the real thing.

What’s peculiar about the Nordschliefe is that when it isn’t being used as a race track or test center for the car manufacturers it’s actually open to the public as a toll road. Yes, that’s right, anyone can just show up, pay a fee and have a go. That includes scooters, tour buses, Bugatti Veyrons and just about anything else you can imagine.  However rental cars are a no-no, every major chain in Germany expressly forbids it right in the contract. So the only option for overseas folk like myself is to rent a Ring racer. Of course I had to have something from the VAG family so I decided to go with a VW Scirocco, a lower slung version of the Golf that's been long gone from our shores but still exists in Europe. The current version they have is based on the MK5 Golf/Jetta/A3 platform (2006 – 2013) and as a result is very familiar to me. The versions you can rent here are all pretty much the stock 2.0L turbo with around 210 hp, but frankly for my first go at this track I don’t think I’d want any more, what I want is an idiot proof, well balanced chassis that has more brakes and handling than motor and this car fits the bill perfectly.


The night before we spent a bit of time just walking the local streets around our hotel, located less than a kilometer from the track’s tourist entrance, and it is absolute high octane heaven. Awesome cars and bikes of every description are seen and heard everywhere, the place is one giant brotherhood of speed unlike anything I’ve ever seen outside of an F1 event. And everyone is here for one reason, to slay the dragon and live to tell the tale.

I must admit at this exact moment I am now not so sure this is a great idea, I barely slept and have massive jet lag. And the next hour will demand every fibre of hand-eye coordination that my aging brain can muster.  We leave the hotel and head over to RSR Nurburg, the company I’ve reserved the car with. I fill out the requisite paperwork signing my life away and before being turned loose then sit through a very thorough 30 minute briefing which in the words of our host is designed to “scare us to death now so that we don’t die out there”. His words carry weight, there are crashes every day this track is open. Most just bend tin, but some do worse. Being that the deductible on the Scirroco is basically a good chunk of the purchase price, and to that you must add the fees charged by the track to clean up and replace everything down to the last blade of grass you chewed up, I am well motivated to heed his warnings.

Luckily my two lap package includes a lap with an instructor, so I will have expert guidance to make sure I keep it paint-side up on the first go.

Looking around the garage and yard outside here makes one’s head go light, there are awesome cars everywhere. You can rent Lotuses, M3’s, 911 GT3’s, Lamborghinis and they fill every space on the lot.

Finally around 9:00 am I get the car and meet instructor Derek, an expat Brit race and safety car driver who has recently moved to Nurburg to work full time at the track. We spend a few minutes setting up the car with cameras and mics and then head down the road to the track entrance. Herr Schaefer dons a helmet and drops himself into the back seat. Time to see if I’m up to this…

No comments: